Subject Code: FBM102
Having a clear creative vision, then styling successfully to align to that vision is a vital requirement for any fashion retailer. To deliver a range and brand image that is well loved by consumers, requires a strong understanding of not only the latest trends by the buyer or stylist, but understanding the needs of the consumer and how they plan to work, eat and live in your range. Therefore this subject looks into how to build a creative direction for your fashion brand including developing fashion stories, delivering to a consumer’s lifestyle as well as styling effectively to drive intrigue and eventual purchase.
Teaching and Learning Strategy
The strategies to achieve learning outcomes will be formal lectures, tutorial discussions and activities based on case studies and individual research. Furthermore, a number of practical exercises relating to real-life issues in business will be included.
- Understanding the basics of photography, event, editorial and personal styling.
- Understanding the basics of the design process including basic textile cuts, fabrics and construction.
- Building a client brief and understanding their needs including body shapes and how to customise trends.
- Analysing the latest fashion trends and forecasting.
- Make decisions on how to build a creative vision and fashion brand.
- Critically evaluate how technology and sustainability is shaping styling and the future of fashion.
Exams will take place in weeks 12 & 13. Please refer to the official Exam Timetable for further information.